Sometimes, connecting your iPhone to iTunes and then creating a backup over there is not a viable solution. It may take way too much time for your liking, you may be on holidays with no access to a computer or you may just not want to deal with the process. If any of this is true then know that you can indeed back up and restore your iPhone without using a computer at all.
iCloud Backups – What gets stored here?
The backups you can perform via your device are stored in iCloud and they are different from the ones you can create in iTunes. Everything that has to do with an Apple service or Apple product will get backed up, including device settings, app data, messages and any content purchased via iTunes and the App Store. However, any content that you have purchased via other places and stored in your device may not make it to the back up. If you want to make sure that everything is stored correctly then you should use an iTunes backup instead.
How to back up your iPhone
The most important thing to remember for this part is that you need a decent, stable Wi-Fi connection. You should also make sure that the connection you are on is secure so I would not suggest backing your device up while you are out having a coffee.
1. After you turn Wi-Fi on, open the Settings app.
2. Navigate to iCloud > Backup.
3. The utility should be turned on by default but if it is not, do it now.
4. To back up everything that we talked about before, hit the Back Up Now button at the bottom. Note that this may take a while, depending on the amount of content you have in your device. You can interrupt the backup at any time but you will have to start over each time. You should also make sure that the backup was actually successful before leaving the menu.
How to restore a backup from your iPhone
Restoring a backup without using iTunes will require a workaround method since there is no “restore” tool per say. Instead, what we are going to do is that we will reset the device and then grab a backup as that will take you via the setup process, much like what you do when you get a new device.
1. Open the Settings app and go to General > Reset.
2. Select the option that reads Erase All Content and Settings. Confirm your choice by tapping on the “Erase iPhone” button.
3. Your iPhone will now be erased and after everything has been wiped out you will be taken to the new setup screen. When you get there, select the option that reads Restore from iCloud Backup.
4. Enter your Apple ID credentials and sign in.
5. You will be presented with a list of your latest iPhone backups. Select the one you want and let your iPhone restore the backup from iCloud. Depending on your connection, this may take a while.
6. When the process is over, you will be asked to enter your iCloud information and to set up Apple pay (optionally). After that is done you will be taken to your Home Screen where everything should be like you left it.